UNITED zzzZZZ THEIR WAY PAST CASKA MOSCOW---THE REVIEW!




Yeah so it was not by any stretch a good game of football--blame that on the pitch, not on United at least! Sir Alex, as expected, flooded the midfield and let CSKA figure out a way past us. They didn't, and late on he brought on Owen, changed to the conventional 4-4-2 and with a few minutes left, a good build up involving Nani and Berbatov led to Valencia getting us the goal that won us the game and put us virtually through the group stages. It's three games left and we need only a point to be sure.

As far as our performance is concerned, I was not too bothered, but I still feel that our defence needs to be more certain. We seem to be shaky when the opposition has a go at us. I really hope that Rio and Vida can get more games together so that they rebuild their understanding. In times ahead, we shall need results similar to that we got in Moscow--where you rely on your defence to actually win you the match. We've done it so well in the last couple of seasons so I trust that we can emulate that solidity.

Many United fans and friends alike who were watching the game with me were calling for the head of Nani. They actually don't mind if we sell him off by January. Regular readers of this blog will also appreciate that I've been too critical on him these past few weeks but I've been watching a certain aspect of his game that has impressed me. I mean I got tired of waiting for some sort of tricks and flicks from Nani that I started noting what I should call, other facets to his game. Let's face it, he's not as consistent as we expect him to be but we can't say that we don't benefit at all from his presence on pitch. I been watching him closely this season and ow I can comfortably say that he really does try to get back the ball when he loses it. I mean if you sit and replay the game, you'd realise that the Portuguese was playing some sort of Darren Fletcher role. I know that is not what we expect of him but I'm not as disappointed in him now that I realise that he does add us something that even Ronaldo did not give us at all. I mean at least we can sit more comfortably when he loses the ball compared to when Ronaldo lost it. The fact that he has had a hand in our last two away Champions League games will improve his life, but you feel that he must start putting away some of the chances he gets. Valencia's two goals in two games have driven away the critics for a while. Nani should probably buy himself some time and notch in one or two.

Wes Brown made an appearance in the game, coming on for Rio but I'm wondering when Sir Alex will finally restore him to the right-back slot that worked so well for him in our 'Double Champions' season of 2007/2008. John O'Shea remains just good cover for me and I feel that Brown can provide more of an attacking threat down the right.

Anyhow, it's the Dippers on Sunday and boy what prospects lie ahead for us. I mean imagine we inflict on them a, what, fifth defeat in a row? Oh and I forgot, this is really their year! Hah!

Labels: